Gameplay Tip of the Day – 6/23

As I start with every post about trading, I will always say that it is an under appreciated art form. Because there is such a wide variety of people in the community, there are so many ways that you can be successful. Because there are so many new cards, I want to write a bit more in depth about a few things I have noticed as of late. Is my list of trading pet peeves.

Pet Peeve #1 – DONT BEG

If someone sends me a trade, or counters one of my offers with a note, I expect the worst. There is nothing more annoying than someone expecting you to accept a lopsided trade because they say “please bro, u have 4 of these!” If you do this, stop now as it is a complete turn off for just about every experienced bunter out there. Not saying dont write a note with your trade, but dont beg for acceptance.

Pet Peeve #2 – ONE WORD NOTES

Playing off the previous item, I really dont support adding notes for a trade unless there is something you absolutely need to say, or just want to say thank you for considering the offer. Sending a note with “Counter” or “Please” is only going to get you on my ignore list. At that point, just leave the notes blank.


If I decline your trade, its for a reason. Usually, and I mean this with all sincerity, usually it isnt personal. However, if you send a trade blasting me for declining your trade, that’s not okay. Its the prerogative of each bunter to decide if they want to accept. If they decline, just move on. Dont even bother going further than that. This is a community that is close knit, and you will only hurt your reputation.


Do not send a trade more than once, especially if the first one was declined or still pending. I cannot stress how likely it is for you to be ignored by that person if you do. If your trade offer wasnt good enough the first time, it wont be good enough the next five times either. Similarly, adding one base card or two base cards isnt going to get me to reconsider most of the time.


I always post a specific thing I am trading in the fan feed when I want to trade. Most of the time I will say what I am not trading as well. If someone says “NOT TRADING XXXXXX CARD” – dont make an offer on that card(s). Its only going to get declined, and likely get you on their ignore list. Yesterday I posted a card I was looking for and also posted which cards were not for sale. Guess how many offers I got for those cards I said were off limits? Yup, dont be that guy.


Its one thing to make an offer of a rare insert for base cards, but definitely not the other way around. If you are only offering base cards for a card like a signature series or top insert, 99% of the time you will get declined or ignored. The other 1% will get you a counter offer, but its not worth doing that to your reputation over that small chance. If you are looking for ways to obtain rare inserts, but only have base in your collection, I would look at it from a red paperclip type of mentality. You will have to start at trading for the non-rare inserts and making your way up to the rare ones. Its going to take time and patience, unless you are going to get extremely lucky opening packs, or spend some money. That’s just the way it works.

This entry was posted in Gameplay Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Gameplay Tip of the Day – 6/23

  1. joe k says:

    Thanks for the post. Sums up my feelings as well. Getting some horrible trades in recent days from people with near 5 star ratings. What’s up with that?

  2. Damon says:

    Looks like we were thinking about the same general subject. I wish there was a way to really identify good traders out there. The stars are okay but I think some people manipulate by rarely offering trades — they only accept/decline incoming offers.

    • deltapi1049 says:

      I dont think that’s manipulation as much as it is the amount of work it is to make offers vs take offers. So much more effort to make trades than it is just to sit back and let the trades come to you.

      I also dont look at the ratings at all, more the amount of trades. If you have a high amount of completed offers, ill consider trading more with you than someone who has barely any.

  3. mad_J says:

    Got a great one today. A guy offering 2 commons for 3 super rare and commenting that he’s new and would give me a $10 iTunes card if I helped him out.
    So obviously you forgot a point in your post: Don’t try to pull a scam. 😉

  4. tracehallowell says:

    Subsection of Rule 1: don’t say “I’m New!” when you’ve made over 100 trades and you have tons of 2013 cards in your collection. Please.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s